iSmile Dentistry is committed to providing premium dental care, and that includes keeping up-to-date with the latest dental technologies and techniques. At our St Leonards dental clinic, we have a state-of-the-art CBCT 3D x-ray machine, which enables our team to gain a better understanding of the structures inside your mouth. Whilst 2D dental x-rays are common in most dental clinics, CBCT imaging can be a much better option in some cases. Here’s what you need to know about this remarkable technology.
What is a CBCT Scan?
CBCT is an abbreviation for Cone-Beam Computed Tomography. The machine uses a cone-shaped X-ray, which rotates around you. Up to 200 images at various angles are taken in a timespan of less than one minute, which are used to generate a detailed 3D reconstruction of your mouth, jaw and ear, nose, and throat. The images are then viewed using specialised software.
CBCT scans provide a much more comprehensive view compared to 2D x-rays and provide more precision for certain dental procedures such as implant therapy and root canal treatment. This technology can also aid in diagnosis and treatment planning for complex cases.
The benefits of CBCT scans include:
- Highly detailed 3D imagery
- Provides your dentist with a more comprehensive understanding of your oral health
- Procedure is quick and painless, lasting less than 40 seconds!
- Lower dose of radiation compared to a regular CT scan
- Allows for evaluation of a broader range of oral structures, such as the temporo-mandibular joint and maxillary sinuses
When are CBCT Scans Used?
Following a discussion regarding the benefits and risks, your dentist may recommend a CBCT scan to:
- Investigate complex dental problems
- Plan for complex endodontic treatment (root canal therapy)
- Examine the extent of tooth or jaw damage after an accident
- Prepare for surgical tooth extraction
- Examine bone quality and quantity, nerves, and neighbouring structures to determine optimal placement of dental implants
- Diagnosis of temporo-mandibular joint disorders
- Gain a better understanding of children and young adults’ oral development
At iSmile dentistry, we can consider incorporating the use of CBCT technology to provide our patients with higher resolution digital images when planning and delivering a range of dental procedures to suit your needs.
How Long Does a CBCT Scan Take?
CBCT scans are done in our Imaging Suite, taking between 20-40 seconds to obtain a full mouth scan. As a non-invasive procedure, there is no pain or discomfort involved.
Upon arrival at iSmile Dentistry, you will have a brief consultation with your dentist. You will be asked to remove any jewellery or metal objects, as they may interfere with the imaging process. It is critical that you remain as still as possible during the scan.
What are the risks?
As with any dental X-ray, CBCT scans expose you to a small amount of radiation. While the amount is higher than traditional dental X-rays, it is much less than the dose received during a conventional CT scan.
CBCT Scans at iSmile Dentistry – Book an Appointment Today!
CBCT scans offer numerous benefits, with the highly detailed 3D images allowing for accurate diagnosis, planning, and treatment of dental issues. As your local dentist in St Leonards, iSmile Dentistry remains at the forefront of dental technologies and techniques to provide you and your family with quality dental care.
If you have any questions about CBCT technology, or if you wish to book a dental appointment, please contact us today. We look forward to seeing you soon.