Periodontics (Dr Alan Lee)
A specialty of dentistry that studies the supporting structures of the teeth as well as the diseases and conditions that affect them. It is a field involving regeneration of bone and gums around teeth and bone augmentation of the site for future implant placement. Hence, it certainly encompasses the planning and placement of dental implants to replace missing teeth.
Periodontal services provided in iSmile Dentistry include:
- Gum inflammation/diseases (non-surgical and surgical management)
- Root amputation
- Gum graft
- Bone graft (including sinus lift, socket preservation, particulate and block graft)
- Guided tissue regeneration
- Periodontally-Assisted Osteogenic Orthodontics
Endodontics (Dr Thai Yeng)
This is the dental specialty that studies and treat the conditions of the dental pulp (containing nerves, blood supply and connective tissue necessary for tooth health). When the dental pulp becomes infected and/or inflamed, endodontic treatment (root canal therapy) is required to save the tooth. It also deals with cracked teeth, dental trauma in kids and adults.
Advanced endodontic services provided in iSmile Dentistry include:
- Complex anterior and posterior root canal therapies
- Cracked tooth syndrome
- Retrieval of broken instruments
- Negotiating calcified canals
- Apicoectomies (root apex surgeries)
- Recalcification of “open end” canals
- Repair of stripped canals
- Missing or extra canals
Prosthodontics (Dr Ivy Hsiao)
A dental specialty which involves the diagnosis, treatment planning, rehabilitation and maintenance of the oral function, comfort, appearance and health of patients with clinical conditions associated with missing or deficient teeth. It also involves management of the jaw joints. Cosmetic dentistry is not recognized as a dental specialty. In fact, prosthodontics is the only dental specialty under which the concentration of cosmetics/ aesthetics dentistry falls.
Thus, the specific prosthodontic services provided in iSmile Dentistry include:
- Full mouth rehabilitation
- Sleep apnoea therapy
- Temporomandibular therapy
- All implant-related restorations
- Complex crowns and bridges
- Cosmetics dentistry
Oral Surgery (Dr Mark Atkinson)
A dental specialty that deals with complex surgical management of the oral cavity. This includes surgical removal of complex wisdom teeth impaction, tissue biopsies of abnormal growth in the oral cavity, surgical augmentation of the sites for implants, as well as implant placement. Oral surgeons are also involved in oral cancer treatment and management and works cohesively with Oral Medicine and Pathology.
In addition, the option for the surgeries to be performed under local or general anaesthetics and sedation is also available.